by David Drake
As I write my new book L.I.F.E.E. (Life Instructions for Entrepreneurs and Executives), these 10 quotes from the most beautiful minds I admire remind me to hurry slowly, never give up, seek wisdom, push the boundaries, and appreciate beauty even on off-the-beaten paths and the most unusual places.
1. Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood. Now is the time to understand more, so that we may fear less. — Marie Curie
2. Two roads diverged in a wood and I — I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. — Robert Frost
3. Talking isn’t doing. It is a kind of good deed to say well; and yet words are not deeds. — William Shakespeare
4. Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle. — Abraham Lincoln
5. Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere. — Albert Einstein
6. The scientific man does not aim at an immediate result. He does not expect that his advanced ideas will be readily taken up. His work is like that of the planter — for the future. His duty is to lay the foundation for those who are to come, and point the way. – Nikola Tesla
7. Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people into thinking they can’t lose. – Bill Gates
8. We now accept the fact that learning is a lifelong process of keeping abreast of change. And the most pressing task is to teach people how to learn. — Peter Drucker
9. If you have men who will only come if they know there is a good road, I don’t want them. I want men who will come if there is no road at all. — David Livingstone
10. The important thing is not what they think of me, but what I think of them. — Queen Victoria
It dawned on me that the influence these words have on me and on the writing of my book rest largely on the kind of men and women who uttered them. If these words (and lives) have inspired you, please pay it forward and inspire those around you as well.
Note: Find out more about my upcoming book here, for more info and to pre-order.